Broilers are the most preferred ones under poultry meat category. Many Private companies are involved with farmers in contract farming for boiler production. So marketing is no longer a problem. A broiler is a young chicken of below eight weeks of age, weighing 1.5 to 2 kgs body weight, with tender and soft meat.
BEST MANAGEMENT PRACTICES
- Poultry house temperature: 1st week 950F is quite comfortable and reduced at the arte of 50F weekly until 700F in 6th week.
- Ventilation: Maintain good aeration, remove the ammonia (bird droppings) regularly to avoid suffocation to birds
- Lighting: 60 watt bulb for 200 sq. ft floor space
- Floor space: 1 sq. ft. per bird
- De-beaking: debeaked when 1-day old
BROILER HEALTH CARE
- Start with disease free chicks
- Vaccine against Marek’s disease at the hatchery
- RDVF1 at 4-5 days
- Drugs in feed to prevent coccidiosis
- Keep feed free from aflotoxin
- Cover floor with clean litter at least 3 inch deep after each cycle
- Market at 6-8 weeks old
- Feeders and waterers removed to prevent bruises during catching
- Protect the in-transit birds from extreme weather
Some of the private companies involved in contract faring of broilers are Suguna, Coimbatore, VHL, Pune, Pioneer, Bromark etc.
For details regarding
- Availability of good breeds
- Requirements and Making of poultry sheds
- Feeding of poultry
- Production of healthy birds
Please contact nearest Veterinary Clinics or Department of Agriculture/veterinary sciences.